Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Home Made Flash Diffuser/Gel Holder


I ordered this set of Roscolux Filter Swatches for $4 on Adorama. The idea being that I could use them to gel my on-camera flash and my SB-600 speed light. First, I took the filters off their spindle and made a little box to hold them in.

I also picked up a frosted piece of thin plastic from Marshall's, it was designed to make cut-out stencils. For my purposes it will make a good diffuser for the rig that will be going on my on-camera flash.











The contraption was made out of matte-board and super glue. It fits right over the on-camera flash on my D200 and is masking taped in place. In the below example you can see shots with just the normal flash, the diffuser, and the diffuser/colored gel:

The Next step is to make a similar contraption for my SB-600 speed light. As you can see in this example, I used 2 flashes, my on-camera flash with an orange filter and my speed light with a green filter taped over it.

No comments:

Post a Comment